Thread: Bursting Bubble
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 08:15 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
For shits and giggles, I just looked up my 2011 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout #175. It's ungraded, as I don't feel like sending it in the mail, waiting months for a grade, and risking it getting lost in the mail, even with insurance, which wouldn't cover any appreciation in value, meaning I might not be able to replace it without using out of pocket funds.

The last two that have sold went for $880 by bids, and a BIN with a $995.

That's....absurd. Just a regular card that I pulled from a pack 7 years ago is going for almost a grand.

I don't even want to look and see what my 2009 Chrome auto is going for. If I hadn't cracked my tooth, and needed a dental implant, I'd still have it.
It puts us in an odd position as collectors I think. A part of me says "well it's impossible for the market to keep going, there has to be a top" and no sooner is that said, prices go up more, and the cards that we could've bought six months ago, become unaffordable.

I passed up the opportunity to own a 51 Bowman Mantle sometime ago on the board. Could I have swung the purchase, had I really tried and gotten everything together? probably. But I had a really hard time justifying spending that much money on something, that I know for a fact, I would never sell. Since then they've gone through the roof, and I kick myself every day for it.

I was up in Cooperstown two summers back, was in Yastrzemski's and there was a 53 Topps set for sale, for 4 Grand I believe. The key cards were probaly in the 1-2 Range. Still respectable though, presented nicely. The older gentleman took it out of the case for me and allowed me to thumb through some of the cards to see the Jackie, Satchel and Mantle. I can only imagine what that would go for now.

Prices keep going up, I always say "well it's a bubble" but I think that's more wishful thinking on my part, because I want to be able to buy some more cardboard again.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.