Thread: Bursting Bubble
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 08:24 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
It puts us in an odd position as collectors I think. A part of me says "well it's impossible for the market to keep going, there has to be a top" and no sooner is that said, prices go up more, and the cards that we could've bought six months ago, become unaffordable.

I passed up the opportunity to own a 51 Bowman Mantle sometime ago on the board. Could I have swung the purchase, had I really tried and gotten everything together? probably. But I had a really hard time justifying spending that much money on something, that I know for a fact, I would never sell. Since then they've gone through the roof, and I kick myself every day for it.

I was up in Cooperstown two summers back, was in Yastrzemski's and there was a 53 Topps set for sale, for 4 Grand I believe. The key cards were probaly in the 1-2 Range. Still respectable though, presented nicely. The older gentleman took it out of the case for me and allowed me to thumb through some of the cards to see the Jackie, Satchel and Mantle. I can only imagine what that would go for now.

Prices keep going up, I always say "well it's a bubble" but I think that's more wishful thinking on my part, because I want to be able to buy some more cardboard again.
A PSA graded 1956 Topps Ted Williams I was looking at just before the pandemic started, which if my memory serves me was going for about $400, is now double that.

I want this pandemic to end. I don't want any more people to lose their loved ones. I don't want people to have to live in fear anymore. I don't live in fear, but I can't really leave the house, either, and won't unless a doctor's visit requires it. So, I've been out of the house maybe 5 times since this all started.

And yes, on some level, I want it to end so some semblance of normalcy returns. I want to be able to return to my hobby. I miss being able to buy cards I love, from time to time.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.