View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 05:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
1. This is the toughest question for me to answer. I started collecting vintage cards in 1976-78, but took a hiatus off during the '80s and '90s, with the notable exceptions of buying a few Topps 1987 sets in '87 and a T206 Christy Mathewson card in 1990. I then resumed collecting vintage cards in 2003. So I guess it all amounts to about 20 years in total.

2. I've never owned too many - right about 200 is my max ever, but that number didn't last too long.

3. I currently have 142.

4. My most significant card is either my '33 Goudey Ruth or my T206 Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder).

5. My only prewar set is a 1934-36 Diamond Stars set of 96 (no repeated high-number prints)
Rob,

Definitely still a great collection with some classic cards as your most significant. You can't deny the attraction to a Goudey Ruth, or a Cobb T206. And what do mean you don't have many pre-war cards? I think most people would feel having almost a couple hundred would be a pretty sizable collection. It can be the quality, and not just the quantity, that mekes up a great pre-war collection.

Heck, I've got a ton of pre-war cards and items, yet. I've never owned a Goudey Ruth or a T206 Cobb. I guess one of my collecting quirks is that I'm more attracted to the less popular and more obscure pre-war sets. Oh, I own some T206s and Goudeys, but just a handfull or so of each as type cards or examples. Seems like pretty much everyone here on Net54 collects and talks about T206s and Goudeys all the time. Probably a big reason I like a lot of the other non-mainstream sets a little more. Less competition for collecting them, and you have a chance to discover and learn things that not everybody knows. Plus, you've got to love some of the more diverse sets out there, like Rittenhouse Candy cards or Rinkydinky stamps, right. LOL

And your choice of the Diamond Stars set to be working on is a great one. Got to love their iconic art deco design and look. Love that set, and always thought it stood out from most others. Kind of like the '72 Topps set design, just one of a kind.

Last edited by BobC; 06-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.