View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 08:34 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Definitely. I am also thinking of "accountability" in a somewhat different way as well. I'll call it "accountability to the consumer". For example, if I get a weird letter from a government agency, there is a way for me to find out, via laws and public information, what is going on and why. If my cable internet stops working, I call and get to speak to "John" in New Delhi whose expertise is limited to suggesting that I plug and unplug something. The company is not obligated to tell me anything, or even help.
If a company gives you poor service, you can switch companies. I don't have cable; if you had to, you could live without it too. Satellite dish services, Netflix, Amazon, internet streaming, free broadcast TV, buy DVDs, or just spend half of the rest of your life on Net54 like Peter and me.

With companies, you have the option to not do business with them. If government is unfair to you, you can't simply cancel your service with them, and moving to another country is not really a practical option for most.