View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 09:25 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'm not a smart man, so perhaps it is my lack of knowledge, but I cannot fathom what securities fraud has to do with what I was talking about and responding too, when another member asked if know, as a fact, that racism, sexism, and all the other ism's are wrong. I do not know about opinion in securities fraud; I am cognizant that a view I have, a moral view, a view of Ethics, a value judgement, is not a fact; it is simply my opinion.

If you are asking me about the different definitions used in a non-philosophical, moral, political, or ethical context; specifically in a court of law in a case of securities fraud, then my reply is that I do not have any opinion on that and it is utterly and completely irrelevant to anything under discussion. Deertick was asking if I am, or suggesting I might, a racist, not a person guilty of securities fraud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Isn’t ageism one of those ism prejudices enlightened folks believe to be bad, like racism, sexism, etc.?

A claim is right or wrong on the merit of the claim, not because of who is older. One should debate that and advocate the logical merits of their position instead of appeals to authority by virtue of age.

Carry on.
Greg, I did not ask you if you "know, as a fact, that racism, sexism, and all the other ism's are wrong." I simply asked you if you agreed with "the enlightened folks". In my reading, the phrasing of your comment is ambiguous at best. I assumed it was just a poorly constructed attempt to ridicule, and I was attempting to point that out in an absurd way.

A belief or opinion can be debated. I have never heard the other side of the ism issue as in "I believe it is good". Only whether or not it exists (it has, forever) or the extent (valid).