View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Shawn England

Default Monomoy Point Lighthouse Near Chatham, Massachusetts 1870s

Here is a little part of American history many folk may not know about. I have several photos (some pictured below) of the Jones family. Asa, wife Clara & son Maro were the keepers of Monomoy Light.

I do believe some of these photos are unknown....

These photos once belonged to the Jones family and the handwriting is that of Lucia Jones (pictured below) daughter of Maro.

Note: I have read accounts of sailors who were quite fond of the boy Maro B Jones, son of Asa the Light Keeper & his dog.

1. Cabinet photo of Asa, Clara & Maro
2. CDV of Baby Maro
3. Jones family photo in front of their Harwich Center home.
4. Lucia Jones, daughter of Maro
5. picture of abandon Monomoy Light

Here is some history I have found online:

Asa L. Jones, son of Joseph B. and grandson of Asa Jones, was born in 1840. His mother was Love C. Robbins. Mr. Jones enlisted in the war of the rebellion in 1862, in Company A, Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteers. In March, 1863, he was made sergeant, and in the fall of the same year he was commissioned second lieutenant in the Sixth Regiment U. S. Colored troops. He was discharged in September, 1864, on account of wounds. He was keeper in the government lightship and lighthouse service from 1870 to 1886. Since February, 1889, he has kept an undertaking store at Harwich. He was married in 1874, to Clara F. Paine. They have one son, Maro B.

Asa L. Jones, a native of the Cape Cod town of Harwich, was keeper from 1875 to 1886. Jones, who was born in 1840, had been wounded in the Civil War. After retiring as keeper, Asa L. Jones ran an undertaking business in Harwich.

Campbell Construction Group of Peabody bid $2.1 for the project, more than the money available, so the work had to be scaled back. The tower will be restored and receive new glass panes in the lantern room. The keeper's dwelling will get a new roof, siding, windows, and a well for potable water. Wind and solar generators will allow the dwelling to be wired for electricity so that radiant heat can be used to prevent mold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asa f.jpg (76.1 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg maF.jpg (78.7 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg maB.jpg (78.2 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg group f.jpg (78.6 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg luF.jpg (77.1 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg luB.jpg (73.7 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg liF.jpg (71.5 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg liB.jpg (65.4 KB, 472 views)