View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Broks Robinson Handcut Newspaper "Cards"

Greetings, Brooks collectors. I am a day late on my weekly Brooks post featuring his card related items. Busy weekend. This week I thought to share some newpaper "cards." I will not go into a lot of detail because others have commented on these in years past. I will share some details on the 1960 - 1963 Baltimore News-Post scrapbook cards and the 1970 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless cards. First, the Baltimore News-Post provided collectors the opportunity to handcut Oriole players/coaches from their newspaper for 4 years. Brooks Robinson was represented each year. Finding these cards is very difficult. I always wondered when the cards were featured in the paper, how were they displayed, how many were provided per paper, and has anyone ever found a paper with a player in the paper not cutout. Most of my information is from a blog by Bob Lemke and discussions with Alan Strout. The cards were black and white with a photo, facsimile autograph, and biographical details and some information on their career or lifetime statistics (some of these details depended on the year published). The 1960 50 card set is probably my favorite. I only have 10 / 50 cards (sadly, Brooks is not one that I own but still looking). The 1961 set includes 45 players/coaces to include Brooks, which a picture is provided. I completed this set about 6 months ago. The 1962 Set includes 47 players/coaches also featuring Brooks. A picture of Brooks is provided. I am short two players in this set (Cosgrove and Hall). The 1963 set also features Brooks; a total of 43 players/coaches. I am short 13 cards in this set. I am fortunate to have a few extras of 1961 and 1962 cards. The extra's are mostly glued to a scrapbook affixed by a youngman back in the 1960s. I did my best to remove them from the scrapbook without any damage but most are affixed with another player/coach (back to back). PSA graded a 1961 Brooks but then later said they would not grade anymore, which was very upsetting. The 1961 Brooks was part of the Brooks PSA master set but later removed. Next is the 1970 Brooks Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards (162 different players were in this set including Brooks). These cards shared biographical details about a player, his photo along with his 1969 and career statistics. These cards are very hard to find...at least Brooks is. Two Brooks cards are graded by PSA and this card is part of the Brooks master set. A picture of mine is provided. If anyone has any extra Baltimore News Post Cards and interested in selling or trading, let me know. Happy Collecting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNP BR Pics.jpg (207.3 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg Pic DDN BR.jpg (204.7 KB, 340 views)