View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My thread title may be misinterpreted. I’m not trying to relate exit velocity to the distance of a home run. If I was omitting the launch angle, bat speed and pitch type would be factors.

The calculated (not measured) distance of a home run is generally irrelevant to me. If the ball literally goes out of park (San Francisco Bay for example), the number is likely inaccurate. If the ball lands in the first row above a 382 ft sign on the wall, the accuracy is enhanced. Does the average fan give a hoot if a home run is 385 ft or 402 ft. I think not.

These so-called advanced stats are also tracked, so that if Ohtani hits a home run that exceeds his previous highest exit velocity of the season, the commentators are sure to let us know, almost immediately.

I’ve always been a number’s guy. The stats are what attracted me to the game as a kid. However the BABIP, RISP, FIP, etc are not my cup of tea. I guess I’m just too old to appreciate games with 20+ strikeouts and an occasional home run with batting averages below .250. Somebody agrees with me because making the shift illegal next year should increase the BABIP.
I'm with you Frank, I really don't care much about exit velocity or launch angles either. If the ball goes out, it goes out. Now there is additional fascination when you see someone hit a simply towering blast, or sending one literally out of the park. In such cases I don't need to know, or much care, what the exit velocity was. You can see for yourself they got all of that pitch, and appreciate it just for that visual.

Like I said earlier, I feel exit velocities and launch angles are statistics and metrics they've now come up with to better measure and assess baseball hitter's abilities and potential for success. And with the widespread acceptance and use of these and all the other advanced metrics they now use and follow in today's game, you know it was only going to be a matter of time before such talk and numbers finally found their way into broadcast booths.