View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 09:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
This comment appears to have been made without much consideration of the current state of healthcare in underserved populations, and the maintenance of health and diet in populations of different socioeconomic backgrounds. In fact, I'm sure that it could be interpreted as somewhat insensitive to some readers, regardless of socioeconomic background. Some facts:

1) The poor and/or underserved (many of whom must accept government assistance to survive) often cannot afford to purchase healthier foods or do not have access to stores that carry healthier foods, and by necessity must buy more items (often because they are less expensive) with higher fat content (for example, the fattiest ground beef is MUCH less expensive than 96% lean ground beef). This leads to adopting a higher fat diet, which leads to obesity.
2) There are other causes of obesity other than consumption of bacon and whatever foods you may have seen in those ladies' carts at the time you saw them. Some contributing factors may be genetic. Another factor may be level of activity that may be deficient due to any of a myriad of reasons.
3) The comment suggests there should be a correlation between obesity and /or food choices and the wearing of masks. I have seen no studies out there that have researched correlations between obesity, items in a shopping cart, and mask wearing. It's also worth considering that perhaps the women were sick and did not wish to infect other people, and wore masks for that reason. I can tell you that many people wear masks to prevent potential infection of others, not to prevent infection. I have done this myself at times.
4) It's perfectly reasonable for someone to wear the appropriate type of mask to reduce the possibility of infection if they are obese, because obese individuals will often have co-morbidities that can make it much worse for them should they be infected with COVID. Also, appropriate masking and transmission of infection or risk of being infected is something that can be controlled; obesity can't or often cannot be controlled as easily as you might think.

If you were a member of the healthcare community, I can assure you that what you saw would not be "funny" or interpreted as ironic at all.
you mentioned a lot, but sometimes the simplest explanation can also be argued, perhaps people that are less educated and economically disadvantaged can also be ripe for manipulation by the government in many ways. Also my comment is basically the same as saying 'why does someone at burger king order 3 Whoppers and 3 Large Fries and a DIET COKE. You really didnt have to be so deep in the comment. Yeah there can be many meaningful ways to describe things but people can be hypocrites and also be all the things you mention as well...its not black and white my fellow human of the world. just an observation.

I was also speaking about someone who did have access to healthy groceries nearby because we were both at the same place and had equal access, so the lack of access argument is very disingenuous. Cramming in a false narrative.

As an aside, Tuna fish is still very cheap by the way and has very low fat content. Its not like people do not have access to canned tuna fish versus fresher high fat bacon. At the store I was at fresh veggies were very cheap and there are tons of cheap healthy options out ther versus junk food such as Doritos. I would think in 30 years life experience, people do know that high sugar is not good for you or high fat. People are free to make their choices and people are free to make observations (with a touch of humor) on those choices and also people are free to say those observations are insensitive as well.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-25-2022 at 09:50 AM.