View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Great wealth + fast food + fried everything = obese people everywhere .

I was one of them. It’s very easy to stop being that way. I even spend less on food now with a healthy lifestyle and BMI than I did when I didn’t care and lived the ‘good life’. Obesity is much easier to control (you yourself have control of it) than highly infectious diseases, and far, far, far more damaging to your health than Covid-19. Nobody cares, of course, because there’s no virtue signal political points for not being obese.
For some folks with discipline, access to healthy foods, and a living wage, I agree, it's easier to try to adopt a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. The BMI is tricky though and there's an argument whether the cut-of for the BMI standard of obesity is correct. I am considered borderline obese based on BMI, but play basketball twice a week with college students that are 40 years younger than me in pickup-games, and do fairly well to keep up with them. In other words, I'm still fast and in relatively good shape. The BMI index is not a very good indicator of obesity in my particular case or for others, for different reasons. Can there be better messaging for living a healthier lifestyle? Absolutely. And you may have a point that because it remains apolitical, there may never be the attention drawn to it that COVID had. But again, it's not an issue that 99% of the afflicted population can wish away, easily or otherwise.