View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Good analysis Steve. The intentional change definition sounds simple but can be complicated in practice. It Topps adds a option or traded line that is easy, but it is often impossible to tell if a defect was discovered and intentionally changed or not

Another good example are DPs. In the last printed Standard Catalog Lemke listed variations for the 52 Mantle, Thompson and Robinson. PSA does not recognize them. The differences can be found on the front and back. The differences were likely not intended but did result from an intentional decision to DP those 3 cards

George Vrecheck has written articles on DP differences in the 63 and 55 (56?) sets. Green tint non pose differences from 62 are another example. Probably not intended but did result from an intentional change in the printing process. Variations ?

Bet a lot of 52 Master collectors are praying PSA does not adopt the 52 Mantle as a variation

It would be tough to come up with a hobby definition that all would buy into or that would cover all past and future official variations
PSA really should recognize those. If I remember it correctly, Nozaki listed the Mantle, Thompson and Robinson in his book. I've known about the different ones since maybe 78, and would have learned it there.

The dealer I hung out at had a copy they'd let me read on slow days. One time I borrowed it, photocopied the whole thing and thought I brought it back. I went through some old stuff of mine and found it like 30+years later.
Either that, or I bought it on one of their auctions and forgot I did.