View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hard to believe at one time, a signature on a card was considered "defacing" it, and lowered the cards value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It was the vigorous way he signed directly across his face when there was plenty of room below his photo that upset me. It was the only copy of that card I had. I wish I had given him a 1974 Topps, or some other card I had multiple copies of.
I've noticed players seemed to be a lot less careful about where they signed before the hobby took off. I have a number of vintage signed cards where the signature is in a dark spot, or over the face or over text, but my more recent signed cards the player took the effort to find a spot it would show up well. I noticed that especially with Carl Yastrzemski's rookie, he is very reliable about signing on the red, white and blue ribbon. I was looking for one to send in to an upcoming autograph signing, and had a devil of a time finding one within my budget that didn't have a crease or a tear in that spot.

I've heard that Pete Runnells didn't like signing his 1953 Topps with Don Johnson pictured instead, but the one I have he signed without an issue.