View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Scott,

Look forward to seeing your last couple of cards for the display. Of course I like all of the pickups so far. For some reason I’m partial to the larger Jays Mantle you picked up; really a great picture of Mantle in my view. Like what was mentioned I’d like to view the end result as well. Also, you basically stated that you were measuring for a place to display; I’d really like to see the finished project displayed with what else is in the wall. Always love to see how collectors display their collections rather then boxed up in a closet (like most of mine).
Thanks for the interest.
It has been a fun undertaking, and on a "collector to collector" note, this is something I think a lot of people should try, or something similar.
It's tended to "re-invigorate" the hobby for me, not just the same old "ho hum look at it and lock'em away somewhere" pick ups in that sense.
We all tend to get in a rut if we do this long enough, and this has let me learn to appreciate some lesser graded cards far more than I had in the past.

You may have taken what I wrote about measuring slightly wrong.(but more likely I wasn't very clear lol)

I had a neighborhood frame shop do a number of posters for me years ago.
I thought I was going to make this one a specific size, but I am actually making it slightly bigger. (I actually have several differing size posters downstairs, and I will be making it the larger size, not the smaller size I originally thought I would have to make it)
This Mantle project will end up being 20x24.... and I can fit a bit more in there than I thought originally.

I did this basically so I could enjoy some Mantle items, but still have my more valuable stuff locked away.
Maybe you can take inspiration from this and do something similar so that you can enjoy your collection more often, rather than have it tucked away...? You mention having most of your stuff boxed up in a closet.
You are a big Brooks Robinson fan I think, Hell you could do something similar to this of Brooks a whole lot cheaper than you can for Mantle!
Just a thought anyway.
I would assume most here have most of their stuff locked away, especially the valuable stuff, and rightfully so.

I have several posters downstairs already and I tend to swap them in and out.
I'm a bit of a TWILIGHT ZONE fan, and I have a number of posters signed by the original actors downstairs. Most of these posters are essentially one of a kind, that a buddy of mine designed, and we had many of the actors sign them in person at various conventions over the last 20 or so odd years.
Plus I have a big poster of Rod Serling himself, and that is always on display.
(which in itself, thats a cool shot........ a buddy of mine had an original transparency negative that he acquired from a collector, its a classic shot of Serling himself on the set of episode "Still Valley" a 1961 episode) I had that image blown up into a massive poster, and I have it displayed in my living room.

Oddly enough, this will be the only baseball themed piece in my home.
But expect to see some Twilight Zone stuff adjacent to this Mantle piece when I get it finished.

And I agree with what you said. I too am a fan of that Jay Pub Mantle image.
It screams classic Mantle, and its catching him right as he's looking to crank another one, or so it seems.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 07-22-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Proofreading....... :)