View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 06:42 AM
Wayne V

Default At a bus stop

I have never hitch-hiked. I always thought it was a bad idea, too much risk involved.
However, when I was around 18, before I had bought a car yet, I was waiting for the bus at a bus stop. I was on my way to the Race Track, to make a play on the ponies. There was a horse I wanted to get a bet on. The horse was in an early race, and I was running a little late.
As I was waiting on the bus, a guy on a nice convertible pulled up to the bus stop and asked if I wanted a ride. As I said, I was running a little late, and I really wanted to make that bet. So I said sure, what the heck.
We did some small talk, and then he said hey, would you I like to go do this with me, or go here with me, etc. I realized he was a gay guy (not that there's anything wrong with it, as Seinfeld famously said). I said no, I really had to get to the race track, that I was going to my job there. I was working at the track at the time, but right now I was only trying to get there to make a bet.
So he dropped me off at the track, and I was able to make my bet. I don't remember if the horse won or lost, it probably lost. They usually do.
Hitch-hiking, generally a bad idea.