View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 09:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's high retail. They are not an easy sell, and there have been some very large lots sold at auction in the last year or two.

You have to break down the series. The '35 black borders tend to sell for more, as can the team specific sets. Not a big deal but worth noting.

Assuming they have strikers intact and grade out vg-ex or better, on a wholesale basis I would value the regular HOFers at about $5-$8 each and the big names [Dean, Ott, Stengel, Hubbell] around $10-$15 each. Commons are a tough sell, so I would treat them as dollar cards. There are a few popular players and a few SPs too. You'd have to look them up. Those are not easy sells, though, except when cheap, because there are not that many set collectors for these.

My pricing assumes an intact striker and no excessive damage from staple removal. A bobtail [striker removed or excessively damaged] is worth at most 50% of an intact cover. I picked up a really nice black bordered bobtail Dean for $10, for example.

If you are interested in keeping them and not concerned with profitability, you could add 50% to these prices and feel comfortable. I would really be careful about the commons, though, because they are really, really hard to resell. I've been burned on a number of lots I've tried to flip.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2015 at 09:45 AM.