Thread: Bill Terry Bat
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Marc S
Marc sz.ilezy

Mark, thanks for the reply. Bats are not my expertise, I’m just doing a little research each day. But I found this on PSA’s website.

Side Writing
Refers to the writing, usually in grease pencil, on the barrel of a bat, written by a manufacturer employee, to document the receipt of a bat by a player, in making future player bats in the same or similar specification. When legible, the writing will indicate the player who shipped the bat back to the manufacturer, the city/and or team name, the league of the team, and the date the bat was received at the factory. Side written bats are usually found on bats of the pre
model number era.

By no means do I think this was game used. But according to psa, it has the players name, the date, New York, and ntl league all in grease pencil. There are no other markings or branding on it. I can’t find anywhere that to be side writing, it has to be game used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
If someone sold me a bat that he said had Bill Terry side-writing, and he sent me this bat, I would want a refund. It's a lathe bat with Bill Terry's name on it. Side writing is important because it places a game used bat in the hands of the specific player. A lathe bat never left the factory, as far as I know.