View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 04:41 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
As explained on the board a gazillion times, most AHs will waive a sellers commission for a decent piece. So they have to make their nut somewhere. And that’s called the buyers commission. I know a bunch of good dudes who run AHs, and none of them are running not for profit charities.

Allowing the AH to get a piece of the selling price also serves a smart economic function of incentivizing them to promote. If it was just “hey, pay me $200 if I sell your item, we’ll that wouldn’t get the juices flowing from the promotional side of things.
I dont think anyone believes the AHs shouldn’t charge for what they do. Of course they need to! It’s always a question of how much and are you getting what you pay for as a consignor. I have been very happy as a consignor thus far, notwithstanding that an auction is always somewhat risky for any one item at any time. If it’s a big enough item you can use an AH that allows a reserve (like on that Mantle card described above, which is just one anecdote and I dont think represents the whole experience).