View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 05:24 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
For a long time and with high volume of sales, even on ebay.

People who complain about prices just don't want to pay that price, which is fine. And he can hold cards until someone pays his price. Which is fine too. I wish I had a list through the years of all the Dean, 707 and Yepdog threads to see how many people who started them are still in the hobby
With 707, seems like the typical listing is a '50s or '60s card that's overpriced in the 20% to 50% too high range. Occasionally his complete sets from that era can even be a pretty good deal.

With Dean's, most of his prices (with the exception of many of the tough variations that you're able to use him for, which can be priced ok unlike just about everything else there) are 2-3x to 20 x what something is worth. Often with notes about how this $25 (almost) complete '80s team set w/ $2 worth of cards is the "perfect gift for that team's collector".

IMO, it's entirely different. Both huge, established dealers. One who just sells fairly high. Happens all over. The other charges exorbitant prices aimed at people who don't know any better and see his company come up first in google searches.

All that being said, Dean is a very smart businessman whose model is very successful. How he does things from top to bottom could make up an entire semester for an advanced business school marketing class.

I'm just not a fan of how that class would be titled "how to succeed in business by purposely ripping people off"