View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 05:29 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
The Jackie card is the only regret (in regards to not seriously pursuing a copy pre-spike) I have had in building my 52 set...I simply waited way too long to find a Jackie as I had no idea this card would nearly double in value in such a short period of time. Earlier in the year, similar grades were going for almost half of what I paid for a copy last week.

In watching prices (as compared to typical market values) for the key cards in this set over the past 15 years, I noticed typically December is the best month to buy. Well this year that theory did not hold water as the Jackie was twice the price this December as it was last spring. I don't believe I have seen the Mantle, Mays or Mathews from this set double in value over any given 6 month period like the Jackie has.

Will the spike of this card continue in 2021?
The '52 Mays has had a big push lately (though it took awhile to participate much in the covid boom). But once it finally did, it caught up quick.

Mathews has still been a laggard this year though. To the point where Jackie may have passed it as the second-most valuable card in the set. Neck and neck now. For a card that has always been so prized and seen as so incredibly difficult, you would've thought it would do a little better.

As far as 2021, I'd be surprised if things didn't level off. When even the easier cards like Mays have spiked, that could be a sign that the overall pop (even for the "leaders" like Jackie) has about run its course

Last edited by cardsagain74; 12-11-2020 at 05:33 PM.