View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
GOAT is corny, abused and completely cliche, no doubt, although I'd never outright claim any player deserves it outright - it's always "in the discussion" because I think discussion is more fun. Brady is for sure in that discussion.

And I'm not saying anybody being the most popular is "right" or anything, I just know that a lot of people today seem to be fickle enough that they focus on what is new or most recent, especially if they never got to watch Orr or Williams or some of the greats from the past. I wouldn't be surprised if more people in a large cross-section of Boston sports fans could identify Rob Gronkowski than Bobby Orr. Hence popularity or famous, but this includes a wide swath of fans from the general public. And that doesn't mean I'd rank Gronk over Orr, just the opposite on my list, but I'm talking about the overall Boston fandom population today.
I get what you're claiming...
I went to both Boston Sports Collectors shows last year at the Shriners in Wilmington, and while that is no measurement for the general Boston sports fan, I can honestly say that I don't remember seeing ONE Gronk item... I saw a lot of Orr stuff (probably the most for a single player), a lot of Red Sox and Williams items (obviously) and a lot of Brady and Patriot items. Very little Ortiz. To be fair though, I'm probably somewhat biased in what I saw, as I'm much more of a hockey fan. I can also say that the most popular jersey I saw rocked by attendees at the show WASN'T Orr... or Williams .... or Ortiz....
It was definitely Brady. That I remember.