View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Nothing like those, but a couple times that were brief but difficult.

Dentist assistant putting the spike/scraper/ whatever you call it right into the big cavity I'd just said to not put the spike in. Bent the tool, and took it out myself. She's lucky she has quick hands. And by the way pain shouldn't come with smells and colors, but apparently it can.

Getting hit directly in the ear canal with a paintball. Big surprise, as I thought I was out of range. The paintballs were coming in slow and basically rolling at my feet. I turned to say something to the guy who ran the field and wham! The person who hit me said she'd been holding the co2 cartridge in her underarm and that was the first shot with the warmed gas. Hard to recall how much it hurt, but I do recall instant pain and then being on my knees having been standing.
The guy who ran the field was ex special forces and was really good. Grabbed my head and turned it to my good ear and said "Hurts like hell doesn't it? Go see my wife at the tent and she'll get that all cleared out. Do you need help walking? " A good cleaning and water to flush the paint out plus a free beer and I was fine. A bit muddled on the right for a couple days about as much as after a Metallica show. Maybe a bit of loss on that side, but not much.

Steve B