Thread: My SGC bump...
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 12:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
That's a great looking card and congrats on the bump.

Just goes to show you what a farce the grading game is. Until the human element is removed, and a card gets the same grade every time it is submitted, the entire system will continue to be rampant with fraud and corruption.

Edited to add: I hope I didn't come across as accusing you of fraud and/or corruption. That wasn't the intent. It's a great card. It just blows my mind that the same card can be sent to the "professionals" and vary nearly two whole grades. One of these days, somebody will introduce 100% computer grading that eliminates the human element.
No, I know what you meant. I would agree with you it's a game. I'm not sure all grading is a farce, but beyond a certain point - all companies that use humans to eyeball cardboard (all right now besides ostensibly the newcomer HGA...) are doing no more than what veteran collectors can do. They have guidelines, but sooner or later they miss stuff. I don't fault them for it, necessarily. But yeah, it's a game. Even if I'm totally content with the way my card looks, I get some type of odd extra utility from knowing that a 3rd party grading company has validated my thoughts on the card. I've totally fallen for it too. Why is that?