Thread: June pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This may sound totally crazy to most. Perhaps it will serve as evidence of how troubling my addiction to the 1971 Pirates is. I have been looking for any piece of memorabilia related to Lorenzo “Rimp” Lanier for a number of years. He is the gentleman depicted in my avatar. Rimp is the most obscure member of the 1971 Bucs. He was on the Pirate roster for six games between Sept 11th - 26th He came to the plate four times. He struck out once and reached base one time after being hit by a pitch. He never played an inning of defense. He was left off the post season roster. He returned to the minor leagues and never suited up for another major league team again.

Due to these factors I thought there was no memorabilia to serve as evidence of his rumored contributions to my all-time favorite team. Last week I came across a group of 1971 team issued photos on eBay. I thought I already had them all. Normally I wouldn’t have even given them a second glance. For some reason this time I did. I was stunned to see there in between Milt May and Bruce Kison was my pal Rimp! His uncertain expression reflected his tenure. As crazy as it sounds I placed a max bid of $100 for the opportunity to bring Rimp home. In the end his ransom was only $38.11. I would have gladly paid the $100 to return him to the team. I can’t imagine that many of these were printed. Heck…I surprised that ANY were printed. I know it is the only one I have ever seen. This is why I love this hobby so much, such silliness bringing joy to an otherwise mundane summer day. Now I have to change that avatar.
Very happy for you!! I, too, love to find things I didn't know existed!

Now, tell us....how the hell did he come to be called "Rimp"?