View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Exhibits - why relatively cheap ?

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I know there are folks with much more knowledge regarding exhibits who can speak to this, but I always believed them to be relatively affordable for the following reasons.
1. They were plentiful at the time of issuance.
2. Some collectors do not refer to these as "cards" and thus do not collect them (I disagree, but I believe it affects their value to some degree).
3. I believe I remember reading that one dealer/collector was attempting to corner the market on Exhibit cards in the late 1980s/early 1990s, buying many of them for pennies or less from flea market dealers happy to unload there piles. I could be wrong about the this, but I thought I remembered reading about this at the time.
If number 3 is true, I also have not heard of a massive sell off regarding Exhibit cards since, but I have flitted in and out of the hobby between then and now.
4. I believe many exist in grades that a grading company would deem above a 6, however most folks would not find it profitable to have them graded (low value).
Once again, I am not an expert on these, so please take my opinions as you wish.
Alan Elefson