View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I think darkhorse nailed it...and I too am truly sorry to hear about your situation.

If the Clemente memory means that much too you, and it would me as well, I would sell the 55 (you know your Dad would want you too just based on the little you told us about him) and purchase a nice 73 Topps to keep to remind you of all the memories. That card is at the end of the career, is a memorial card with deep feelings...and I think would be a good conduit to your 55 and your Dad. It's what I would do.

I have MANY cards with tremendous meaning to me as well...but if my family was in need I wouldn't think twice about parting with them. In fact, I look at them as sort of a stop gap insurance plan if needed...and sounds like you need it. Sell the cards...use the money to get back on your feet...get a new and better job (you can do it) and be thankful you had something that filled your gap. Once back on your feet...all those cards will be waiting for you if you chose to get back in. Whats beautiful about this hobby is there are rewarding ways for fulfillment with any budget. You may find just as much pleasure as your Cobb and Playballs as you would in putting together a 73 Topps set for example.

Again, sorry your in this situation...but I think you said it best...stupid ol' cardboard...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03