View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
To break it down a bit further, your card may be different due to how it was stored.

Most turkey reds were displayed (look at the percentage with a pinhole vs. the percentage of pinholes in other sets). Most of the, have suffered some fading as a result, from light, the sun, and other sources. The chance you linked too is a heavily faded card, but a large percentage of the T#’s in the happy have some degree of this. Even most T cards not set up for cabinet or wall display have lost some of their richness over the years, most noticeable on the gold border sets but the images are affected too. It’s pretty normal, even though color lithographic T cards have aged much better than N cards.

I too have owned a couple of the “crisp” cards and they look almost too rich at first. 100% authentic.

The heavy back damage looks like glue stains, it was probably stored glued into a scrapbook or similar and kept the original vibrant color.

The other important factor is that some cards, depending on ink levels etc., just came off the press richer than others did.

It can also be a scanner thing, but there are definitely T3’s that actually look like this in hand.

I primarily collect the T9’s instead of T3’s, but personally I think that’s a good price to pay for a poor card that looks great. Image quality > condition on the Turkey Reds in my eyes.

EDIT: post 8 is a good example of a fading card, that we often don’t think of as fading because it’s pretty normal in T cards a century old. The red even seems to be fading into orange, the easiest ink to have the sun or light fade like this.
Very helpful insight. Thanks for sharing! I thought it was a good price too and plan to use it for display.