View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Muhammad Ali 1981 UCLA Hospital Autograph

Every once in awhile I get something that I think is very unique. I currently have this item running at auction in my e-bay store. As with all my e-bay offerings I start the bids at $9.99 with no reserve.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jim-Stinson-Sports

Its a Muhammad Ali In-person autograph signed and dated August 1981 , On UCLA Hospital letterhead. Its inscribed "To David". I bought the item as part of a small collection from David himself who was then hospitalized at the same Time as Ali. What is fascinating (to me) about the autograph is that it was signed four months prior to his LAST fight , a loss to Trevor Berbick in Nassau in the Bahamas. After I bought the item I checked the date and confirmed that Ali had indeed been a patient at the hospital on that date. But Why ? It had long been rumored that the former champ entered the ring against Berbick already aware that he had Parkinson's Disease and this item appears to confirm it. In fact the date the item was signed appears to be the FIRST time doctors examined Ali suspecting this condition, after noticing slurred speech and other possible "signs" of early stage Parkinson's. His last fight prior had been against Larry Holmes at Las Vegas in which he took a merciless pummeling. Would also explain why his last fight was not in the USA as after having been treated in August he would have been unable to obtain a license to fight Berbick here. So the venue became Nassau. It wasn't till AFTER his fight with Berbick that his condition worsened and his disease was confirmed to the public. Anyone have any thoughts or insight into this ? Much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AliUCLA.jpg (84.0 KB, 126 views)