View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 03:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey Kevin,
I have a bit of an odd question regarding your technology that I'm hoping you can address.

Are the machine 'reads' formatted specifically to suit each type/brand/year/etc. of card being graded at the time? (For instance, if a 1956 Topps card is being assessed, the machine would be turned to the 1956 Topps setting.) The reason for the question is that I collect the 1967 Laughlin B/W World Series cards, and since these were created in his home, there are some weird anomalies that may not pass the 'sniff' test in the hands of a grader. Bob Laughlin actually used (what we'd call Wite-Out today) white paint to cover black spots here and there on his cards. I've run across multiple instances of certain cards that have these edited areas on them in the exact same spots. It's quite possible that I'm the only human being alive (besides Mr. Laughlin) who was aware of this before today. My point is, when the cards were issued, the tiny areas of white paint were there, and not put their by collectors later on. Right now, I assume if they were sent to PSA they would be returned with the misguided assessment of 'altered' attached to them, because there's no way their graders are aware of this 'simple' fact.

I know this is a very specific instance, but I'm assuming the question could very much pertain to other non-standard types of cards that may have other types of anomalies about them.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.