View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 AM
J Stone

With horses it's tough to find cards. There are several UK tobacco card sets featuring race horses, that might be a start, John Player and Willis were the prime issuers but mostly flat and jumpers from the UK, Ireland and France.

Ironically Dan had a tobacco brand named after him in the US but I wasn't able to find any cards associated with the brand.

Sportscaster cards were issued in 1977-79 all over the world. It's a massive set but there are several race horses, including harness. I don't recall ever seeing a Patch card but this set would have Secretariat's "rookie" card although he retired 5 years before the issue.

Postcard issues are generally the best way to find racehorse "cards". I believe you can find all of the early Triple Crown winners on postcards (through Citation 1948) and I was able to find some Patch postcards through Google. (Use "Dan Patch"+"postcard")

Finally if this guy is still around he'd probably have an answer for you (article from 2008).

https://www.minnpost.com/arts-cultur...l-these-years/

PS. Just remembered that Lelands auction house is bringing some amazing horse racing stuff to market. You might also want to contact their resident expert there, I don't know who that is.

Last edited by MooseDog; 03-08-2021 at 08:08 AM.