View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I wasn't assuming that these things had monetary value. Sentimental value to the family? yes.
Think about all the players today, in their 70s and 80s who realize they have a mountain of stuff and need to get rid of it. Johnny Bench being one of the latest examples. At some point they all come to the realization it has to go. Go back 70 years, older players have a mountain of stuff with little value, they need to downsize, and someone asks for something. It fills the need of the family.

My grandma moved out of her house when she was in her 90s a couple years ago. She needed to get rid of everything essentially. Objects might have intrinsic value to her, but not necessarily her kids or grandchildren. No one wanted her pool table. No one wanted her 120+ year old pump organ. Lots of anniversary gifts went unclaimed. They were silver plated rather than solid silver, so they weren't really valuable either. Photos were hard to give away, especially if there was no comment about people, time, or place. It's just the way it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo