View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
It's relevant today because its a reminder of what a government can do to its own citizens. You can believe what you want to about the events. Heck, some people don't believe the Holocaust happened.

Do you believe the Holocaust is relevant today?
At that broad level fair enough, and yes we should learn from history including Tuskegee, and yes we always need to be vigilant against the abuse of power. That said, I just think the times are SO dramatically different in terms of media coverage and scrutiny, racial sensibilities, access to information, and many other factors that it's a pretty remote chance the government is going to repeat an experiment calculated to harm its citizens, at least as long as we have a democracy. And I don't see any analogy between Tuskegee and the current vaccines, I don't think this government or the Trump/Biden administrations have had any bad intent.

Indeed, despite how it now seems to be politicized by some, it was President Trump who, once persuaded the vaccine was the way out of the pandemic, went all in and pushed vigorously for a rapid timeline and quick action on emergency approval. Had he been reelected one wonders if the discourse would be the same.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.