View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Rob

Great post, love the personal side of your collecting this set. The '71 set was also the first set that I bought packs and collected as a kid in California in '71, and then I went right into '72 baseball. But. unlike you, I wasn't always such a big fan. It had some sentimental appeal, but I wasn't that big a fan of the design as my collecting went on through the years. That all changed about three years ago, after I had finished or nearly finished all of the other '70s sets (rebuilt actually after the cliche young adult purge) and wanted to start the '71. Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, I got a great deal on about a third of the set, but in EXMT or better type condition. So, I was sorta stuck, and I have built the entire set in EXMT or better with the exception of Bradshaw, who I have yet to acquire.

In the process of building the set, I enjoyed looking for high grade examples to add to my set, and fell in love with the joy of finding nice ones to fill my set. In the process, I was constantly finding upgrades and replacing and upgrading my set. I was very fortunate to have a dealer show up a couple of times at a local show who had tons of them in nice shape. I have ended up with my 262/263 set, and am about 2/3 of the way with a lesser set with all of my dupes.

I particularly like some of the Dolphins cards from this set, the Dick Anderson, Kiick, Csonka, and Warfield cards just look great to me with the color combos.

I also agree about the Wonder Bread set, its a nice looking set as well. I'm almost done with the '70 set, and like you want to move on to the '68 and '69 sets.

Good luck on those sets, enjoyed seeing and hearing about your journey on this one.

Last edited by Kurri17; 11-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.