View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 12:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Players that wore glasses...

I’ve decided to start a new subset in my collection, since my favorite genre (uh, what may simply be best termed as “Postwar Stars and HOF’ers”) would seem to have set me back entirely too much $$ in 2019.

A story, if you will indulge me: As a kid, nearsighted me got my first pair of glasses when I was about 13 years old, and aside from the brief wonder at all the things I suddenly could see again - I hated them. After about a year of complaining, I was allowed to get contact lenses so that I would no longer be a “4-eyes”, subject to incessant teasing and taunting in junior high school. So, for the next 15-17 years, into my early 30’s - I used and abused contact lenses. You were supposed to take them out regularly, but I’m sure there were periods of 2 weeks or longer in college where I never did that. Long story short, I began to develop weird headaches and several eye doctors later was told that I had “severe dry eye” and needed to quit wearing the contacts. This time when I went back to glasses, (circa 2010) the “retro look” was back in, and I decided dammit, if I’m going to wear glasses again, they are going to be cool glasses and glasses that look like glasses and not a pair that are trying to hide something.

All that to say, I’m starting a collection of vintage players with cool vintage glasses. This is my first entry, and set me back a whopping $3.51 from Greg Morris. Any other cards that come to mind of retro players with retro glasses? This is inherently cool because I mean come on...due respect to GG winner and All-Star Roy McMillian, rest his soul - but what modern player would be caught dead in a pair of specs like this on the field today? LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-26-2019 at 12:45 PM.