View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
It seems like a lot are much more interested in making money from cards then enjoying/collecting them. Would be cool to take a poll how many on board are full time dealers, part time dealers, eBay sellers, auction houses, flippers or pure collectors. . I’m sure this would never get completely honest responses....hobby/ industry is Full of Big Fishermen Stories /Big Whoopers ...Would get the well I sell what I upgraded from my collection or I sell to buy more stuff for my PC blah blah it is what it is people....calling this a hobby for most people that ship has sailed it’s a industry/money making side thing or full time gig for many.

All are generalized statements with no dislike towards any....it’s all good in my book either way :-) having fun is most important !
+1 on the poll idea (different thread?)

I started collecting as a kid during the junk wax era. Took many bicycle rides down to the neighborhood liquor store to get my "weekly fix" of late '80s/early '90s Topps wax packs. It was like hitting the jackpot when I scored a good deal on some late '70s to mid '80s cards. Spent many hours staring at those unattainable '50s and '60s Clemente Aaron Mantle Mays Koufax etc. cards displayed behind the glass at local card shops. Fell out of the hobby after the junk wax bust of the early '90s, and then got back into collecting about 10 years ago, mostly affordable collector-grade stuff I found online.

I find it to be an enjoyable hobby tied to a game I've loved since playing little league as a kid. I never buy to flip, although I have sold cards a few times on Ebay to free up a little cash, or when I decided to shift my collecting focus to a different niche or era on a couple of occasions. It's still fun to flip through my collection from time to time, admiring the history/nostalgia of the player images, and the stats and trivia on the backs. As far as the investment aspect is concerned, I'd say that it holds about 50% of the weight in my purchase decisions. It is comforting to know that I'll be able to liquidate some of my collection someday, if the need ever arises.