View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 07:31 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Yup. Trench

Trench definitely made the "BKLYN." pennant you first showed. Rick posted a photo from the Brooklyn Eagle of some kids waving it that dates it to ca. 1949. I believe it measures 26" in length; which, by the late 1940s, was Trench's preferred size. There's also a Brooklyn (football) Dodgers pennant featuring the same letter script, with a punter graphic known to be used by Trench during that same era.

The '55 Dodgers v. Yankees WS pennant is, I believe, also by Trench.

So you weren't far off on your New York guess, Greg; except these came from Buffalo rather than NYC.

I can't say I've ever noted any anomalies in the spines on either of these two pennants.

I'm afraid the '58 Dodgers v. Giants "1st Game" pennant's manufacturer remains unknown. I don't believe it's by Trench: it has no tassels. The speculation among Rob and I was that this was made by a local, bay area novelty maker that made a few other Giant-only pennants featuring the same San Francisco artwork.
Great insight Kyle. Also Mark’s picture is very good. I still think that the differences are too big to suggest Trench. Perhaps a generic graphic was copied. But the spine is so different, wider, much smaller stitch, and those that have tassels (not all of them do) often are made of the same cloth as the body of the pennant. If it’s Trench then these were made by workers who were banished to the annex and did not share ideas. And I think the artwork is very distinct ... the letters, etc. .. Now I did pull up pics of those pennants which I believe fit this series. One thing they have in common is a connection to NYC teams (including loosely, the relocated baseball clubs). .... I do see that a couple spines are different colored (not white).

Last edited by thetahat; 01-10-2021 at 08:03 AM.