View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Furthermore, we have this series below that Baseball Rob posted awhile ago, observe the Phillies pennant. These all have the same type of spine. That being said, my guess is that this pic is from 1964-65 simply because of the Milwaukee Braves and Redlegs pennants hanging. 1968 seems a tick too modern. I know they changed the 3 to an 8 on the WS pennant. Do you have more background on this pic, Rob?
Here's the background my buddy gave me. He grew up in Fresno.

'These are photos from a baseball banquet in Fresno circa 1964-65 I believe. They came from Bill Thompson’s estate. Bill broadcast the SFG games between 1965-73 w/ Russ (Hodges) & Lon (Simmons), but before and after was affiliated with the Fresno Giants; before as an announcer and after as general manager. My guess is that, based on the people and background, it was either part of what was called “The Hot Stove League Dinner”, an annual offseason baseball banquet that really took off in the 1970’s (had Aaron, Garagiola and McCovey as guests of honor at it’s zenith), or it could have also been a farewell dinner for Bill between 1964-65 when he left his post as KFCN-TV Sports Director to work for the SF Giants; or even a combination. It’s just a guess, and a best guess at that.'

Not sure that clears anything up. Still can't explain why the Dodgers' 3 was changed to an 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fresno BB Banquet 5.jpg (76.4 KB, 108 views)