View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 05:48 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I'm sure the information I'm looking for is somewhere in the many pennant threads here, and I plan to read all of the Pennant Fever posts, but I'm hoping someone can give me a brief summary of the various materials and combinations thereof used for sports pennants from the beginning of their manufacture through today, including approximate dates of their usage and any notable characteristics such as appearance, feel, etc. Thanks in advance.
Hi Hank .... I’m not sure if this helps but here we go ...

Pre 1920 pennants were often oversized (approx 35 inches long) and were heavy felt, almost the feel of an army blanket. Moths liked this material. This gave way to a thinner, softer cottony felt until the late 40s, then they got a little thicker again by early 50s. By this time pennants would show creases if folded. Sometime around the late 50s a woven “cloth” was introduced ... thin with sometimes loose threads on the edges. These were succeptable to fading. Most of these still had a felt spine. Felt and cloth were seemingly used interchangeably up through 1970 or so. Then the stiff cardboard-like garbage made its debut.

This may not have been terribly informative but is this the type of response you were hoping for? I wish I knew names for the types of material but we just call them “felt” and “cloth”.

Greg