View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 12:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info, guys, this forum is amazing! So, to summarize: this pennant could have been made as early as the 1940s, but most likely c. 1960, as the World Champions use of the same graphics would suggest? And these aren't repros of earlier versions, the Ad Flag Co. artists just liked using antique graphics on their modern pennants? Anyone have a guess on a range of dates during which this stiffer kind of material was used, and what's the earliest it could have been? Lastly, here is a link to Rob's Felt Football forum Packers section, and it looks to me that many of the pennants he's tagging as 1930s and 40s are made of the same material as the one I bought. He has such an amazing collection, it's hard to believe he wouldn't have a good idea of the dates of issue of just about everything in his collection. Thanks again for the help.

http://feltfootball.com/green-bay-packers/
Hi Hank...This comment couldn't be further from the truth. There are many, many, many pennants that can only be guessed at in terms of age. When I started my site, there was virtually no pennant reference material available. This was essentially why I created the site. I wanted to document detail as I discovered it. In fact the only existing reference material was Egner's pennant price guide, which was very thin on football pennants (and which identifies this pennant as 1940s just as in FYI).

Since I created the site, Kyle has shed an enormous amount of light on the various producers of pennants which helps us narrow dates down, but in many instances, it's still just an educated guess. Unless a pennant is dated, you can't really identify a "date of issue". I'm certain there are other pennants on my site that need their era adjusted based on the knowledge that has come out in just the last couple of years thanks to Kyle and others here in the pennant forum.