View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Hi Hank...This comment couldn't be further from the truth. There are many, many, many pennants that can only be guessed at in terms of age. When I started my site, there was virtually no pennant reference material available. This was essentially why I created the site. I wanted to document detail as I discovered it. In fact the only existing reference material was Egner's pennant price guide, which was very thin on football pennants (and which identifies this pennant as 1940s just as in FYI).

Since I created the site, Kyle has shed an enormous amount of light on the various producers of pennants which helps us narrow dates down, but in many instances, it's still just an educated guess. Unless a pennant is dated, you can't really identify a "date of issue". I'm certain there are other pennants on my site that need their era adjusted based on the knowledge that has come out in just the last couple of years thanks to Kyle and others here in the pennant forum.
Hi Rob,
To begin with, I want to assure you that my only agenda in starting this thread was to learn more about pennant dating and related info. My original post was quite general, and I only brought up the Packers pennant because that's what touched off my renewed curiosity about pennant dating. I have bought and sold dozens of pennants in my decades as a collector and dealer, and have always thought they were as cool as any category out there. Even the many mysteries surrounding them was intriguing--I love to tell the story of my several stages of knowledge of the best way to get the older, softer, pennants into a plexi holder--perhaps I'll make a post on that subject and see how those on this forum do it! And regarding the Green Bay pennant--let me assure you the only person more thrilled about snagging it than myself is my friend, a huge Packers fan, who got it for Christmas. And if you reread the sentence you're taking exception to, I'm supporting you--He has such an amazing collection, it's hard to believe he wouldn't have a good idea of the dates of issue of just about everything in his collection. I hope you don't mind my posting of the Packers section from your forum, but I assumed it would be OK since it is public.
So, getting back to the pennant in question, where are we? Does the stiffer material strongly suggest a later date, as in 1960s, or were pennants being made of that stiffer, thinner, stuff in the 1940s and 50s, also? The later Ad Flag pennants had thinner paint, it is said, but the paint on this one seems quite substantial, does that tell us anything? It's clear that the graphics don't help, but I would like to know if this is a repro of an earlier version made with a different, more substantial material, or just the preference of an Ad Flag artist for creating an antique scene for a then-modern pennant c. 1960 or so.