View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
I completely agree. His stats stink. Beyond over rated. I don't care how fast he could throw. I don't care that he played for some crummy teams. A lot of pitchers did and they still had great stats.
324 wins and 292 losses. Pretty close to being a 500 pitcher. I guess that would be average. 27 years in the majors.
I would agree that Ryan's a bit overrated-he walked too many batters for my taste.

But please tell me that you're not using win-loss record as the basis for your comment. Nolan Ryan was, objectively, the best pitcher in the National League in 1987. Led the NL in ERA (2.76), ERA+ (142) and FIP (2.47). He struck out a league-leading 270 batters at age 40, finished 5th in the Cy Young, and finished with an 8-16 record.

He probably should have won the Cy Young. FIP shows he was the best pitcher at controlling the things only a pitcher can directly determine themselves. He outpitched teammate Mike Scott across the board, and Scott was 16-13. If Ryan had finished with that record, he wins the award. Steve Bedrosian ended up winning it with 40 saves. Rick Sutcliff, Rick Reuschel and Orel Hershiser finished ahead of him, and Dwight Gooden tied him. He outpitched them all.

By your logic, Ryan was below average because he had a .333 winning percentage.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.