View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 04:08 PM
Larry More.y

Nice find Cliff, I had not noticed that variation on this card before. What is weird is that on the #453 card w/o the "topps" brand name in the ball, you can see where the seams of the ball are partially missing due to the OPC guys removing the "topps" name from the checklist. I am thinking that the corrected version of this card is the one w/o "topps" on it and the original is the one with "topps" on it. My guess on the 588 card is that the OPC guys simply missed removing "topps" altogether on that card after remembering to remove it on the #54, #264 and #338 checklist cards. On the #54 card, my copy is missing part of the upper seam where the Topps logo appeared.

Another more subtle OPC variation I learned about recently is a difference in the grey on the back of the 1965 OPCs. While I would assume it is due to a difference in the card stock that was used, some cards have much darker grey backs while most have lighter grey backs. I heard from a collector who is trying to collect both colored backs for his set. He mentioned that cards 1-109 appear to be printed on these different stocks, while cards 110-283 appear to have been printed on the same stock. In my set, the lighter grey backs are far more prevalent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (80.3 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (78.5 KB, 512 views)