View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default 1st February Pick-Up Thread

Posted By: Rob D.

I'll relate a funny (I hope) story about those very glasses. In 1988 with El Paso (lower-right card), I was playing center field and a ball was hit straight over my head. There was no warning track (!), and I ran straight into the wall and got knocked out (hit the wall so hard my pinch of Copenhagen was still on the wall the next day). My glasses were mangled pretty bad: not broken, just bent in several different directions. The day after I got released from the hospital, I called a Lencrafters (or some store like it) and got a price of $100 to replace the frames (I thought I was being a good guy not asking for a price on a complete set of glasses).

I called the Brewers minor-league director to tell him how much the new frames would cost, and he replied that the club wasn't liable. I still remember his words: "Under workman's comp, we're required to pay for your medical care, and we'll do that. But you're on your own for the glasses."

So here I was, making $1,400 a month, and the Milwaukee Brewers organization is telling me to pound sand over a $100 set of frames -- which got bent up only because I ran into a freaking wall.

It was as that point that I decided if I ever got to the big leagues, I was going to screw the Brewers somehow.

So maybe that's why those glasses look so brutal.