View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Just curious, why would anyone consign their cards to a person/business that simply lists them on ebay? I guess if they're working all the time or traveling, etc. An ebay listing isn't all that hard and the process is simple.

I don't see how it could possibly maximize profit if one is paying a fee on top of the 10% ebay fee.

I think you could mail it to the buyer just as easily as mailing it to a broker. So, the additional 10% one would be paying is for the listing preparation and logistics of sending it off, and I guess because they have followers, etc.

Ex = I send my 87 Topps Bonds to a broker. They list it on ebay. It sells for 1.10 instead of the mean price of $1.00. Ebay collects .11, broker collects .11. I'm paid .88. If I listed it myself and sold it for the mean price of $1.00, I would have been paid .90 from ebay.

Is this example wrong, or am I missing something. I never excelled in math.

If an item has a lot of value, i.e., 5K plus, why wouldn't you just send it to an AH? Not saying you would get more money, but there would be a lot more marketing, etc. compared to an ebay listing.
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the 10% fee to Probstein is not in addition to the eBay fee. The fee to Probstein is the only fee.

So you actually pay less when consigning with Probstein than if you list it yourself on eBay.

There's a lot of other issues that get mixed up in here, but having to pay a higher fee if you consign to Probstein (compared to just listing it yourself) is not one of them.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-01-2023 at 04:00 PM.