Thread: Merkle's Boner
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 08:40 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Thank you, Mark and Ben; I agree, Jarrod.

And it sounds like Mr. Olbermann has thoughtfully considered and correctly suggested how that situation plays out. It was a mess. Right about McGinnity heaving the ball into oblivion, and about the $1000.

From what I've read, Snodgrass didn't deserve the blame in losing that World Series game... as is mentioned.

I like this stuff, it brings the little cards to life. In a way it de-monetizes them a bit, and part of their value is tied to their legacy. That's more appealing to me than slabs, pop reports, and such.
Thank you, Frank; for sharing a view of the hobby that I can relate to;

RE: "I like this stuff, it brings the little cards to life. In a way it de-monetizes them a bit, and part of their value is tied to their legacy. That's more appealing to me than slabs, pop reports, and such."

We all get the bug with HOF'ers, stars. teams. etc. Not to hijack the thread but I love digging into history for possible backstory, as it may relate to a player or card. "Boner" and "Muff" are well known examples but I have found so many cool adventures that keep my passion going; love your take referenced above.
Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."