View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
My wife doesn't have a clue what I do with the hobby, she knows I enjoy it and that I've been doing it since I was a kid.

The wife doesn't read this B-board (thank God) else she'd probably about crap if she knew how much I spent on one item without letting her know how much. It was about $20K. With my luck somehow she'll accidentally run into this post and then I'll have hell to pay....

For those that have had a "relatively" large purchase without the wife (or just about a wife) knowing about it and later finding out: How did she react?
I've told this story a few times, but I suppose once more can't hurt:
When I decided to buy the Plank in my avatar Sisi and I had been together for over a year. She knew that I collected, but mostly small cards. When I said that I would spend five figures for the Plank she said absolutely not. We argued, and it ended with me telling her that I would get the card and she could leave if she didn't like it. When she realized that I meant it she gave up and even loaned me the money for the card (I had planned on taking a loan from my 401K).

That was in 2006. Three years later the all white Plank (sort of a half sister to my card) sold for double what I paid for my card, and she began to understand that cards go up in value, and big cards go up the most. Then in 2013 the white Plank sold for 3 1/2 times what it sold for in 2009. We watched that auction closely.

Ever since then she has acted like getting the Plank was her idea to begin with.