View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 11:08 AM

Default Ive got some even older!!!!

So here is the TLR version

I get back into collecting. My dad tells me he has some "old baseball card, well, kind of" stashed in his safe. His mom got them from her Great Aunts estate and gave them to him at some point. These have been in my family since originally purchased in 1869, and the Curtis on the front of the tickets is, by my estimate without digging out my dad's family tree research, is atleast a 5x Great relative of mine. They have been in a jewely box wrapped in newspaper since then. All he could tell me is that one of them was for a precursor to an MLB team. So i started digging.

Not only are the Putnam and Union (aka Troy Haymakers) club tickets from 1869 both potentially each the oldest existing ticket, but the Haymakers were one of the 12 teams to play for the first ever pennant in 1869, making this arguably a ticket to the first ever season of "pro sports", and to the last season in which they played in the NABBP before founding the NAPBBP.

An excerpt from the textbook "Ticket Operations and Sales Management in Sports," pub. 2013, shows an image of, and lists a single game ticket to the Red Stockings on July 1st, 1869, now in the possession of Cooperstown as the oldest known baseball GAME ticket.

https://fitpublishing.com/sites/defa...r_1excerpt.pdf

Given the information in the article originally referenced, and that these are season tickets, they were likely (and also likely unprovably) printed at some point in the year BEFORE the ticket to the Red Stockings game mentioned above, I would like to posture that unless any other new, old, definitavely baseball GAME and not ball / dance / fundraiser / etc. tickets have emerged, that I have now located the new, oldest known tickets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Putnam_1869_front.jpg (154.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Putnam_1869_back.jpg (126.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg putnam_1870_front.jpg (148.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg union_1869_front.jpg (32.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg union_1869_back.jpg (31.0 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by mgerton; 08-25-2022 at 11:09 AM.