View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

He was a gentleman.

I wish I had dvd's of him on a two or three program sequence on the Dick Cavett show, it included Mantle, Durocher, and I think Tom Gorman. Fantastic recollections...

He went through way too much of the racial brutality of the day... he maintained his dignity.

I saw him play. He had all of the tools. He moved his wrists well, he could whip the bat through the strike zone quicker and stronger than most.

My favorite memory was in a moment I heard during a Cardinals night game, within a year or two of 1970... I may have faulty recollection, but this is how it went... The Braves had one or two runners on, Aaron was at the plate, middle innings. I have no idea who was pitching, but he'd already given up a few runs. Jack Buck and Mike Shannon are calling the game. Aaron slams a pitch between outfielders, the ball is down and off the wall. Another run or two scores and Aaron is at second base with a double. The Cardinals manager goes out to pull the pitcher. And during that break in play what I think I heard Mike Shannon say was something like this... "Fans, out there at second base stands two of the superstars of baseball, Dal Maxvill and Henry Aaron."