View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 AM
John D.

Tuesday June 4th, 1974 I saw him play for the first time in Philadelphia. I was a Yankees fan, but grew up about the same distance from the Vet as I was from Yankee Stadium. My dad is not a baseball fan, but went to this game on a bus trip that our church ran. Pete Cera who was the assistant clubhouse manager was from my hometown and he ran many trips during the year, this one happened to be on a school night and was planned because that was the year he was going to break the Babe's record. I was 10.

I didn't care about the Phillies but Hank was larger than life to me. We were there in time for batting practice and were able to get up close to the cage. Seeing him take batting practice was something that I will never forget. My uncle who also went with us and was a huge baseball fan was explaining something to me about Hank's swing but I was so fixated on seeing him in person that I wasn't paying attention.

In the 7th inning I watched him send one over the fence. On top of that, it was a grand slam. I had no idea till much later in life how special that was. It was one of 16 that he hit.

20 years later I met him at a card show. Had him sign a ball, a picture, and my ticket from that day and I mentioned the grand slam. He was so kind and so cordial to me. I was able to meet him one other time and he was the same way. I never realized till later in life the hate that he faced and the real life example he set for all of us.

Godspeed Hank.