View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

You know, over the last few years I have heard so many people tell me I am pompous that I was starting to believe it;however, you make very good points, and I can totally see them...so maybe I'm not really pompous?

Your points are certainly valid, but here is my response to each:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Because I am tired of the SEC. I understand they are the best conference. I don't believe they are head and shoulders above every other conference.
I get that. When A&M (my alma-mater) was in the SW Conference, I got sick of hearing the same about the Big-[insert #] conferences being so fantastic. They were all stronger than us, but it still would have been nice to see them get screwed every now and then, even if it was unfair. I don't know how much better the SEC is than the other conferences, but they do have some great teams. If you enjoyed seeing FL. State beat Auburn, the legitimate champ of the SEC, last year, then you should enjoy seeing MORE SEC teams in the final 4 this year, and seeing ALL of them get taken down.

Quote:
I am also sick of every SEC lover telling me that when a very mediocre A&M team beats Auburn that it's because they are all so great, but when Arizona beats Oregon, or Ohio State beats Michigan State, that it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.
Sorry, but A&M isn't mediocre. They have glaring weaknesses, which exposes them against some teams, but their strengths shine against others. The problem is that they aren't balanced. That's a problem for a lot of teams lately - look at some of the dogfights we've seen this year - 82 points from one team? What the heck. Lots of huge-scoring games, lots of defensive weaknesses exposed. These days it's all about how you match up against any particular team.

Quote:
I'm also tired of them playing sisters of the poor for their non-conference games and everyone excuses it because, "the conference schedule is such a grind". When it happens in other conferences, people talk about the weakness of the schedule.
I hate that too. But the danger of doing that is that you might get beat, or played too close, which can kill you on strength of schedule. LA-Monroe almost beat A&M, but I agree that such teams shouldn't even be on the schedules of supposedly good teams. As far as other conferences, if you are in a conference that is perceived as being weak, then you better schedule one or two tough non-conference games. That's the game now - everyone knows it.

Quote:
A&M and Mizzou weren't super awesome when they were in the Big12, but they did fine moving over to the SEC. Did they get that much better overnight? Or was the SEC maybe not soooo much better then every other conference?
Yes, they did. So did Auburn. Auburn sucked two years ago - I mean, really sucked. Now they are very good. A&M caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel two years ago - it was a freaky thing that allowed them to keep their offense on the field long enough to hide their defensive weaknesses. This year it took teams a few games to get adjusted to Kenny Hill, and then they pounded A&M's terrible defense. Auburn was another 'new quarterback' deal. It happens.

I haven't really followed Missouri much, but they did not get good overnight - their first year in the SEC was pretty horrible. Playing better teams, and having to prepare for them, makes you better. So now Missouri is better.