View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Help with 1842 Davy Crockett Almanac

Hi-
I recently found the 1842 Crockett Almanac scanned below at a flea market. I bought it for 15.00 figuring I would place it in my early Americana binder because it shows Crockett not too long after his death (about 6 years).

I started searching online when I got it home and it appears to be a fairly collectible almanac worth quite a bit more than I paid. Because of its value, I am planning on consigning it to an auction but am having trouble choosing the right one. I am also having a lot of trouble evaluating the approximate worth as very few have sold, and some of these I cannot figure out the condition. I know Heritage, Christies, and Cowans each sold one several years ago. Most sold for around 700-1000, but there was a lot of 21 of them that sold in 2007 for 70,000+ (but that included earlier ones than mine).

Does anyone have any recommendations for an auction house for this type of Americana item? Obviously, I want the most money I can get out of the book, but time is not an issue given what I paid for it.

If anyone knows a collector of such items I would love to get contact information so I can learn a little more about the almanacs. Are there any boards similar to this one that discuss this type of item? Any additional information regarding these would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img639a.jpg (25.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg img640a.jpg (25.5 KB, 35 views)